FAT MAN, THIN MAN, FATTER MAN...GOOD GRIEF!! I have been "overweight" or whatever other descriptive you care to use to call me fat, most all of my life with occasional spurts of weight loss. I've been up and down the scale several times, (mostly up) and have gained and lost over 300+ pounds in my life. However, I've begun to see myself as more than just a "fat" person...it gets easier to take on a different outlook when one doesn't fight for every breath, or have joints scream in pain every time you move. For the story of what got me to this point please click on the page: "HOW DID I GET HERE?"

All images taken from the Internet and assumed to be in the public domain, unless otherwise noted. If you believe an image infringes your rights in any way then please inform me and I will remove it swiftly.


Sunday, November 7, 2010

AN ENJOYABLE FOOD EXPERIENCE

So often (like every day!) food is the adversary. 

Or rather the desire to use food beyond its intended use as nutrition and reasonable sensory enjoyment is the real battle.  I’ve been trying to learn to enjoy the people I’m eating with and keep the food in its proper perspective and role.  Usually easier said than done, but I do see an occasional breakthrough.

Yesterday, Saturday, friend wife and I were in Omaha for a little getaway.  We are fans in general of the Food Network and fans in particular of “Diners, Drive Inns, and Dives” with Guy Fieri. 


He’s highlighted three or four restaurants in Omaha and we had decided that the next time we were there we would explore at least one of them.

We chose to visit “Dixie Quicks” on Leavenworth Street.  This is near the old town part of downtown Omaha but far enough away that the buildings are closer to being derelict than merely old.  Unbeknownst to us, they only serve breakfast on Saturdays and Sundays…so these were the food choices we had for Saturday lunch:

The food was excellent!  The atmosphere was awesomely quaint and derelict but in a good way. Our waiter “Buffy” was colorful to say the least and not just because of the tattooed artwork on display on his arms and legs.  (He wore shorts and a t-shirt.)   

After finishing a very enjoyable meal, (one that I could include as part of managing my weight), we asked Buffy how business was after the segment about their restaurant aired on the Food Network.  He actually stopped, pulled up a chair and had a little chat with us about the whole experience!  What a nice guy and what a kindness to two complete strangers! 

Overall a 5 star experience, and one we intend to repeat with friends along next time!

No comments: