FAT MAN, THIN MAN, FATTER MAN...GOOD GRIEF!! I have been "overweight" or whatever other descriptive you care to use to call me fat, most all of my life with occasional spurts of weight loss. I've been up and down the scale several times, (mostly up) and have gained and lost over 300+ pounds in my life. However, I've begun to see myself as more than just a "fat" person...it gets easier to take on a different outlook when one doesn't fight for every breath, or have joints scream in pain every time you move. For the story of what got me to this point please click on the page: "HOW DID I GET HERE?"

All images taken from the Internet and assumed to be in the public domain, unless otherwise noted. If you believe an image infringes your rights in any way then please inform me and I will remove it swiftly.


Sunday, November 20, 2011

CATCHING THE PASS

I've been given a lot of coaching, training and encouragement by the folks at Mercy Weight Loss Center. 

Their expertise and help has been invaluable...that is to say...it is impossible for me to put down in quantifiable measure what this experience has been worth to me. 

I've been attending their center for 21 months and I don't plan on ending the relationship at any time in the foreseeable future.

I started their program,  http://www.hmrdiet.com/   and have been successful.

But successful meaning what exactly?  I started on February 16, 2010. I weighed 379.4 lbs.  By October of 2010 I was weighing in the low 270's.  Just over 100 pounds lost.  Quite an accomplishment, and one that I thank God, my family, HMR, and the staff at Mercy Weight Loss Center for on a continual basis!

In the last year, while working in Phase Two of this program, I've gained back about 30 lbs.  I'm currently hovering around the 300 pound mark, and have been for a couple of months now. 

I still consider myself a success.


It takes an incredible amount of courage to write that last sentence. 


 It takes even more faith to believe it!


Success ~ My definition:

1. I still face the scale in front of one of the Mercy staff once a week.
2. I put my food totals on the board every week for my other classmates to see.
3. I attend the weekly meeting without fail.  In 21 months, I've missed once due to bad weather...they closed...or I would have tried to make it.
4. I keep a food diary...though I had tapered off doing this religiously over the last six months.
5. I talk to my dietitian, coach, mentor, cheerleader and encourager once a week about my progress (or lack thereof). People call her Megan. I affectionately refer to her as my clothesline prop. 

She's my quarterback throwing perfectly aimed "weight loss footballs" (also known as strategies) at me every week.  The picture at the beginning of this post shows hands reaching to catch the football.  She offers great and timely strategies each week, but the question still remains: Will I catch it this time or fumble?

When I do fumble, will I just limp off the field or get back in the huddle?

There's been a whole lot of fumbling going on.  Her perfect throws, my less than perfect catches.

It's been awhile since I've written a post here.  I've been busy fumbling.

But I'm still a success...because I'm still reaching for the ball!

                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

I've redesigned the layout of this blog and added some stuff to the humor and quotes pages...something I will continue to do as we go along...also check out the new page called beautiful images...and I hope to enter a post at least once a week as we go forward.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Charlie Boy! Glad to see your back--I am soooo proud of you!
I love you more...Julie Lotsie xoxo

Anonymous said...

AND the WINNER in THIS CORNER.....IS.........CHARLIE!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome back to blogging and thank you for always being there. Wonderful words ......encouraging words....I'm struggling but will NEVER NEVER QUIT! Keep up the good blogs and announce when you have a new one....Thanx Charlie and Happy Thanksgiving! ~ Ms. Jazzer

Anonymous said...

Well you write a good game to help and encourage others. We'll let it go at that. May your blessings continue to help others. And that the Lord blesses you with success with your personal diet demons. our prayers are for your personal sucess. Mirrors are needed to reflect the inner person, guess that would be your family and friends?