FAT MAN, THIN MAN, FATTER MAN...GOOD GRIEF!! I have been "overweight" or whatever other descriptive you care to use to call me fat, most all of my life with occasional spurts of weight loss. I've been up and down the scale several times, (mostly up) and have gained and lost over 300+ pounds in my life. However, I've begun to see myself as more than just a "fat" person...it gets easier to take on a different outlook when one doesn't fight for every breath, or have joints scream in pain every time you move. For the story of what got me to this point please click on the page: "HOW DID I GET HERE?"

All images taken from the Internet and assumed to be in the public domain, unless otherwise noted. If you believe an image infringes your rights in any way then please inform me and I will remove it swiftly.


Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A HELPING HAND

The only survivor of a shipwreck was washed up on a small, uninhabited island. He prayed feverishly for God to rescue him. Every day he scanned the horizon for help, but none seemed forthcoming.



Exhausted, he eventually managed to build a little hut out of driftwood to protect himself from the elements, and to store his few possessions. One day, after scavenging for food, he arrived home to find his little hut in flames, with smoke rolling up to the sky. He felt the worst had happened, and everything was lost. He was stunned with disbelief, grief, and anger. He cried out, 'God! How could you do this to me?'


Early the next day, he was awakened by the sound of a ship approaching the island! It had come to rescue him! 'How did you know I was here?' asked the weary man of his rescuers. 'We saw your smoke signal,' they replied.


The Moral of This Story:


It's easy to get discouraged when things are going bad, but we shouldn't lose heart, because God is at work in our lives, even in the midst of our pain and suffering. Remember that the next time your little hut seems to be burning to the ground. It just may be a smoke signal that summons the Grace of God.

So if you cannot get ahead of your hunger, or cannot seem to make the scale reflect a lower weight, consider these "smoke signals" to remind you to look on the horizon...help is on the way.

Maybe that help doesn't come the way we want it to, because we, well I  don't know about you, but I want to remain in control.

I was in "control" the entire time the jet (of weight loss -- actually weight GAIN)  was spiraling out of control ready to corkscrew me into the ground.



Jesus reminds us that only by losing our life (folding our life into Him) shall we gain real life...hmmmm.

God will help us absolutely!

 Sometimes when we look for a helping hand though, we should look at the end of our arm!

No one puts food into my mouth but me!

Often I know what to do, I just don't want to do it.  I want an easier way.

The "easy way" is the road to oblivion...one donut at a time.

So let us, (read that me) choose to look at the burning huts of our diet disasters and consider them smoke signals for help to do what we know we are supposed to do.

Sometimes it's as simple and as hard as that.



No comments: