FAT MAN, THIN MAN, FATTER MAN...GOOD GRIEF!! I have been "overweight" or whatever other descriptive you care to use to call me fat, most all of my life with occasional spurts of weight loss. I've been up and down the scale several times, (mostly up) and have gained and lost over 300+ pounds in my life. However, I've begun to see myself as more than just a "fat" person...it gets easier to take on a different outlook when one doesn't fight for every breath, or have joints scream in pain every time you move. For the story of what got me to this point please click on the page: "HOW DID I GET HERE?"

All images taken from the Internet and assumed to be in the public domain, unless otherwise noted. If you believe an image infringes your rights in any way then please inform me and I will remove it swiftly.


Saturday, December 11, 2010

THE MAN IN THE MIRROR


I've been reading this book. 

Written by a man who attended Overeaters Anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, lost 75 pounds and kept it off by working their 12 step program.  For someone like me struggling with food as I do it has been a Godsend!

I see myself in this book.  Apparently I am a compulsive over eater, food addict...however you wish to describe it.


Looking in the mirror and really seeing oneself with all the baggage included and REALLY understanding that losing the weight and STILL having problems with food that WILL NOT go away...EVER...and further realizing now that the fat is diminishing that the fat was not really the problem..."merely a symptom of a deeper spiritual need." 

Merely a symptom!  I don't even know what to say to that!


And that deeper spiritual need spills over into ALL areas of my life. So now instead of just having the one issue of being morbidly obese, the reality is, I have a lot of work to do in all areas of my life.

That does not come as a complete shock to me...but I'm not sure I'll ever live long enough to get "me" fixed. 

The first hundred years are the hardest. ~Wry grin~
 

 Still there is hope, based on the testimony of those who've taken this path before me...there is always hope.


Ah these heavy thoughts that compel me to continue forward to lighter living.

No comments: