FAT MAN, THIN MAN, FATTER MAN...GOOD GRIEF!! I have been "overweight" or whatever other descriptive you care to use to call me fat, most all of my life with occasional spurts of weight loss. I've been up and down the scale several times, (mostly up) and have gained and lost over 300+ pounds in my life. However, I've begun to see myself as more than just a "fat" person...it gets easier to take on a different outlook when one doesn't fight for every breath, or have joints scream in pain every time you move. For the story of what got me to this point please click on the page: "HOW DID I GET HERE?"

All images taken from the Internet and assumed to be in the public domain, unless otherwise noted. If you believe an image infringes your rights in any way then please inform me and I will remove it swiftly.


Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A CREATURE OF HABIT

I admit it I am a creature of habit.

 I buy gas at the same filling station and bank at the same bank that my folks did. I grew up with Skippy peanut butter and see no reason to try any other brand. (Except PB2! Boy that's good!)


I like a certain brand of shirt, and any shirt I buy must have a pocket! MUST!

I prefer Hanes to Fruit of the Loom,  and I used to prefer Chrysler products but Chevrolet may be winning me over. 

Maybe.


I've never had a "perm" and if I wasn't so vain I wouldn't color my hair, which by the way has been parted on the same side since I learned how to comb my hair.

I didn't realise I was vain until I started losing weight and feeling better about myself. Hmmmm.

AND I have a morning ritual believe it or not!



And boy I was knocked out of it this morning!

The furnace had quit working sometime in the night and the outside temp this morning was 2 above zero...it only felt slightly warmer in the house!  (Actually it was 57.)

No one will ever accuse me of being Handy Andy.  I went downstairs and pulled the panels off of the furnace and looked inside...so that's what the inside looks like! Hmmm.

I went to the circuit breaker box to see if the furnace breaker had tripped...it had not, but I flipped it on and off just to make sure!  Nope! Not the problem.

By this time it was 5:55. (Yes Megan, there are numbers on the clock like that!)

As you might imagine, my morning routine as concerning what I eat is also "fairly regular." 

Oh sure, I may go from 7 Grain Country Hearth Lite to Whole Wheat Country Hearth Lite I'm not that rigid, besides I was out of bread and Hyvee didn't have the 7 grain on the shelf that night!  I didn't feel like going to another Hyvee, and Fareway was already closed...perfectly acceptable to go whole wheat in that case.  Ahem.

I get up at 5:30 - 5:45 a.m. each morning so that I can take time to read thru diet motivational books and Overeaters Anonymous literature and start out my day first with some bible reading, prayer and devotions.  This is a new routine that has been going on pretty regularly for the last three months.

I like it.  Starts my day out right.

Recently, I've discovered that I still feel "hungry" even after my stomach feels full.  My "routine" solution has always been to eat more.  I thought feeling stuffed to misery was just feeling full, and I thought that way(though I really new better) for 50 years. 

So now I look for emotional clues as to what I'm trying to bury by overeating.

Scary!

Another emotion! 

If I really look at myself I might see something I've been avoiding. 

Might?

I will and I have! (whimpers quietly)

"It'll be okay I'll just eat through it and pretend I didn't see, or feel that feeling or emotion."  I used to say I wouldn't know an emotion or feeling unless it bit me on the patoot.  Well...

As soon as I discovered the furnace was on the fritz and realised it was going to take much more than Bizarro Handy Andy could fix I felt a pang in my stomach a little like butterflies in the tummy and I wanted to go eat something that was not part of my eating routine.

I really noticed it! 

It was NOT a hunger pang.  It was an emotion pang, for lack of a better way to describe it. 

It was,  "Okay how is this furnace repair going to effect my budget for the month?"  I had not planned for a major outlay of cash in January, after all Christmas was just a week ago!

I started playing the what ifs:

"What if they can't fix it and the pipes freeze and I have to hire a plumber...and how much will that cost?"

"What if it stretches our budget so far we can't, we can't, we can't, we can't even buy....GROCERIES!!!!"

"It's 6 a.m. and there is NO pizza delivery available!!" (looks about wildly) "But I can't afford it anyway!!" ARGH!!!!

Overeaters Anonymous talks about the "insanity" of compulsive eating...

You mean it's not reasonable to order a jumbo garbage pizza and add black olives, canadian bacon and double extra cheese?  At six in the morning?

I would wait til 7 a.m. if I had to.

That's completely reasonable.

For a food addict.

Obsessive/compulsive?

So now I carry these character defects over into my new eating program???









Megan is my dietician & health educator AND SHE DOES A GREAT JOB!...pray for her...she doesn't get paid nearly enough!

Because she deals with me when I struggle through all these heavy thoughts as I crawl ever-so-slowly towards lighter living. 

No comments: