FAT MAN, THIN MAN, FATTER MAN...GOOD GRIEF!! I have been "overweight" or whatever other descriptive you care to use to call me fat, most all of my life with occasional spurts of weight loss. I've been up and down the scale several times, (mostly up) and have gained and lost over 300+ pounds in my life. However, I've begun to see myself as more than just a "fat" person...it gets easier to take on a different outlook when one doesn't fight for every breath, or have joints scream in pain every time you move. For the story of what got me to this point please click on the page: "HOW DID I GET HERE?"

All images taken from the Internet and assumed to be in the public domain, unless otherwise noted. If you believe an image infringes your rights in any way then please inform me and I will remove it swiftly.


Friday, February 18, 2011

YOUR FACE LOOKS PUFFY ~ ARE YOU GAINING WEIGHT?

A friend asked me this week if I was gaining some of my weight back.  He said that my face looked "puffy".

He has genuine concern for my health and my weight loss status and I appreciate his concern.

It was hard to hear the question and I wanted to be indignant about his lack of perception and discretion, but in reality, I am really struggling.

The honeymoon phase of weight management is officially over.

If you've ever been on a diet or tried to lose weight there are definite stages that are common to most. 

The first stage is very hopeful and you feel good about a new fresh start.  You are happy that you are going to start taking better care of yourself and finally shed the extra pounds.  Chances are you have some plan.  It could be from a magazine article, or attending a weight loss center, it might be a  fitness group you join at your church or gym.  Typically I find that I work better in a group support setting.


Initially, for me anyway, when I finally decide I'm gonna do it I have a lot of motivation at first. (It took me twenty years this last time to finally decide to do it again, doubling my weight in the process!) This motivation is usually fueled by the initial weight loss and the atta boys that come with it.

I'm older now.  The last time I lost over a hundred pounds back in 1990, I didn't really notice much difference in how "good" I felt.  I felt better, but not remarkably so.  This time, 20 years later at the age of 50...I really feel better having lost just over 100 pounds! 

In the past 20 years my joints have deteriorated due to being morbidly obese.  The lighter weight eases the pain.  I did have a total knee replacement 3 1/2 years ago due to my weight. 

20 Years ago I lost 117 pounds and was at my goal weight of 194.  This time I've lost about 104 pounds and weigh in at around 275.  I'm still 80 pounds away from my suggested weight range goal.

This compulsive eating of mine just gets more profound with time.  I eat more, gain more and struggle more to continue. 

In addition to my attendance at the weight loss center each week, I have started to attend Overeaters Anonymous meetings as well. This is a new "stage" in the process for me.  I have been in the "this is getting old and I want to quit doing this diet because it's not fun any more stage".  Pushing past that stage is hard, but if I want to remain healthier than I was I must unlock the door to long term weight management.  

I'm 51 years old and have lived with "me" this entire time yet I find I don't really know myself all that well.  I wonder if people really can change.

I wonder if I can really change my compulsive eating.  So far I have maintained my 100 pound weight loss by binging on fruits and vegetables and since they are lower in calories than candy bars and chips I've been able to get away with it...almost.  However if I continue down this path it will become my dead end...literally.

Overeaters Anonymous says that the symptoms are physical (my obesity).

The sickness is emotional (eating to "feel" better). *There may be enough food in the world to make me feel better, but I cannot eat it all!!*

The solution is spiritual (filling that God shaped hole in my soul with God and not food).  Turning my helplessness over food to Him. 

 Loving myself enough to do the next right thing today.

Focus on God's strength and help for this minute, this hour this day...tomorrow will take care of itself.

Focus on the spiritual solution.  God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life...it doesn't include eating food beyond what is nutritionally necessary.

He has something MUCH BETTER in mind!  This is the stage I want to live in.

No comments: