FAT MAN, THIN MAN, FATTER MAN...GOOD GRIEF!! I have been "overweight" or whatever other descriptive you care to use to call me fat, most all of my life with occasional spurts of weight loss. I've been up and down the scale several times, (mostly up) and have gained and lost over 300+ pounds in my life. However, I've begun to see myself as more than just a "fat" person...it gets easier to take on a different outlook when one doesn't fight for every breath, or have joints scream in pain every time you move. For the story of what got me to this point please click on the page: "HOW DID I GET HERE?"

All images taken from the Internet and assumed to be in the public domain, unless otherwise noted. If you believe an image infringes your rights in any way then please inform me and I will remove it swiftly.


Thursday, April 7, 2011

SQUARE MELON OR BLOCK~HEAD???

Square fruit stuns Japanese shoppers

Japan has again shown off one of its greatest innovations
- square watermelons. For years consumers struggled to fit the large round
fruit in their refrigerators.

Watermelons
The round watermelon is unlikely to go
out of favour


  And then there was the problem of trying to cut the fruit
when it kept rolling around.
But 20 years ago a forward-thinking farmer on Japan's
south-western island of Shikoku solved the problem.
The farmer, from Zentsuji in Kagawa prefecture, came up
 with the idea of making a cube-shaped watermelon which
could easily be packed and stored.
Fashion food
To make it happen, farmers grew the melons in glass boxes
and the fruit then naturally assumed the same shape. Today
the cuboid watermelons are hand-picked and shipped all over
Japan.
But the fruit, on sale in a selection of department stores and
upmarket supermarkets, appeals mainly to the wealthy and
fashion-conscious of Tokyo and Osaka, Japan's two major cities.
Each melon sells for 10,000 yen, equivalent to about $83. It is almost
double, or even triple, that of a normal watermelon.
"I can't buy it, it is too expensive," said a woman browsing at a
 department store in the southern city of Takamatsu." 

SOURCE: BBC NEWS ~ http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/1390088.stm



Round melons in square boxes? 
Square pegs in round holes? 

This is an amazing true story of man's creativeness and ingenuity!  I like things like this...they intrigue me.

And this story made me think about how similar my own life is metaphorically to these melons.

Only the story of my life to date would be how I "outgrew" (weight wise) the parameters of the box I was in.

I ended up not becoming who I could be and became way more than I should be!


My corrupt nature doesn't want to conform to any sort of restriction.  I was meant to be a "round melon" and becoming square was well...too confining.

No one should be able to tell me what to do, not the least would be the dang scale!  What is the scale anyway?  Just a bunch of numbers that screamed back at me at how round and un-square and un-conformed I was. 

Dang stoopid scale anyway!



Part of my personality is to be livin' life "large".  If that included a 54" waistline, high blood pressure, diabetes, walking with a cane, having knee joints replaced, being constantly out of breath and always depressed about my size...well no one's gonna tell me what I can and can't do!!!

It was I who decided to wait in the car while my wife shopped because I couldn't walk without pain.

It was I who took three hour naps every weekend because I was exhausted from doing nothing.

It was I who always had to wait for a table to open at a restaurant as I could not fit in a booth anymore.

It was I who decided...I was in control...me, me, me!

Me...a very unhealthy round melon refusing to conform to that square box.

If I'm not a "square melon" perhaps I am as Lucy Vanpelt called Charlie Brown...a "block head!"

In part two of this post we'll discuss what filling up that square box can mean.





"



No comments: