FAT MAN, THIN MAN, FATTER MAN...GOOD GRIEF!! I have been "overweight" or whatever other descriptive you care to use to call me fat, most all of my life with occasional spurts of weight loss. I've been up and down the scale several times, (mostly up) and have gained and lost over 300+ pounds in my life. However, I've begun to see myself as more than just a "fat" person...it gets easier to take on a different outlook when one doesn't fight for every breath, or have joints scream in pain every time you move. For the story of what got me to this point please click on the page: "HOW DID I GET HERE?"

All images taken from the Internet and assumed to be in the public domain, unless otherwise noted. If you believe an image infringes your rights in any way then please inform me and I will remove it swiftly.


Sunday, November 14, 2010

UN-BRIDLED BOUNTEOUS BINGING BEGETS BROAD-BEAMED BUMS!

Quick and easy answers.

That’s what I want.

Now.

I want the easy path to weight loss.

I wish to climb no hills to weight management.

Make mine smoooooth sailing please!

Where are the three easy steps?

What “one pill a day”(with fish oil of course!) brings me health, wealth, happiness and of course allows me to eat whatever I want, as much as I want and still have a sexy hunky body?

Where is the excercise machine that guarantees "hunk" results in 3 minutes a week or less?

Does anything in life worth having really come easily?

Ever hear of easy come easy go?

Uh huh.

Staying the course doesn’t mean eating through dinner and ordering dessert!

Losing weight and then managing it is not for the faint of heart.
It’s also not for most people who battle bulge. 
It’s seems to be the human condition, especially in the United States where obesity has taken on epic…ahem… proportions.
 The human condition…wanting to take the easiest way and never have any consequences…Jesus talked about it in the spiritual sense:

 13 “You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. 14 But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it.          Matt. 7:13-14 NLT
 13-14"Don't look for shortcuts to God. The market is flooded with surefire, easygoing formulas for a successful life that can be practiced in your spare time. Don't fall for that stuff, even though crowds of people do. The way to life—to God!—is vigorous and requires total attention. Matt. 7:13-14 THE MESSAGE

“The gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it.”
“The way to life—to God!—is vigorous and requires total attention.”

If one wants to find God, it requires a determination beyond what most people are willing to commit too, many distractions get in the way, and it is easy to believe instead that we are masters of our own destiny.  That being said, God desperately wants to have a relationship with us! (See the Gospel of John chapter 3, verses 16 & 17.)  Entire libraries of books have been written discussing this subject, and will be a subject of mine at a later date.
  
However I wish to borrow the concept of straight and narrow vs. broad and crooked when it comes to weight loss and weight management.

Starting a diet is easy…it’s like some people who describe their quitting smoking; they’ve quit smoking 1,000 days in a row.  I’ve woken up many countless mornings sure that this day would begin a new me with a new diet, only to have failed by the time breakfast was half over.

Sigh.

On the few occasions in my life where I have successfully lost weight, I have always gained all of it back and more AND MORE!

Why does it have to be so hard?  Why does food always seem to win?

So now nine months into my new weight loss “career” the broad path looks, well, ok I’ll say it – tempting.

Really?

Did the rules change?

Does the broad path of not watching your weight now carry no consequences?

Will going back into extreme denial about my food addiction change my body’s weight outcome this time?

Is it really easier to take the broad way back to eating hell?

Can I continue on the narrower path of eating sanity for the rest of my life?

The Apostle Peter said that it was better to have never known the way to God, then to know it and depart from it. He likened it to a dog returning to its vomit and eating it.  YUCK!

How could that apply to my eating life?

I know how to lose weight.  Living a life of weight management is the new skill set I’m working on.

Narrow, yes!  

 Will I be one of the few who learn how to manage my weight for a lifetime?   

Will this food addiction of mine be held in check?

Or will I like the dog, return to my old life of eating hell and gobble it all up?

Why is there always so many more questions to answer...daily!
Will I ever be settled? (Ha! another question!!)

Heavy thoughts, (sometimes full of questions) that with God’s help, will lead me to lighter living!   


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Be not discouraged, Charlie. I believe in you through your ups and downs and in-betweens. God doesn't expect you to do it alone nor to do it perfectly. You are a fighter and stronger than anyone I know. I love you more than words can say, my sweet, loving Charlie Boy!
Love, Your Julie Lotsie xoxo