FAT MAN, THIN MAN, FATTER MAN...GOOD GRIEF!! I have been "overweight" or whatever other descriptive you care to use to call me fat, most all of my life with occasional spurts of weight loss. I've been up and down the scale several times, (mostly up) and have gained and lost over 300+ pounds in my life. However, I've begun to see myself as more than just a "fat" person...it gets easier to take on a different outlook when one doesn't fight for every breath, or have joints scream in pain every time you move. For the story of what got me to this point please click on the page: "HOW DID I GET HERE?"

All images taken from the Internet and assumed to be in the public domain, unless otherwise noted. If you believe an image infringes your rights in any way then please inform me and I will remove it swiftly.


Thursday, December 30, 2010

THE UNGODLY POWER OF ONE STRING BEAN! (part one)

We Americans are big on freedom.

We’ve fought most of our wars for the cause of freedom from tyranny. The most important export the United States sends overseas is this idea, this mantra if you will, of seeking the inalienable right endowed by our Creator of “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”



We have this freedom purchased for us by those patriots who shed blood, lost limbs and died for the greater good of their fellow countrymen. This is a lesson in self-sacrifice that I don’t consider nearly enough in my day to day living.


So why is a weight management blog discussing freedom??



First of all as any American will tell you, we are a land of abundance. About twenty-five years ago, my pen-pal from the Soviet Union visited my wife and me and one of the first things we did was visit one of our grocery stores.


He was STUNNED at the overabundance of everything. He’d never been to a grocery store that had shelf after shelf after shelf of EVERYTHING.
When we went down the liquor aisle he just about flipped out!
At first it was amusing, but when the nature of his everyday living became a reality to us, we became as depressed as he was about it.

He financed his entire trip to the U.S. by buying (one!) VCR and taking it back home to sell!

Freedom. It has brought abundance to our country and many blessing to our citizens. We are truly the richest nation in the history of the world, but at one time, so was the Roman Empire.


Something to think about.

Another way to measure our prosperity is this: nowhere in the history of man has the equivalent of 30 minutes of labor, given people the opportunity to purchase 2,000 calories or more of food. That amount of calories is usually more than enough to stave off starvation…and then some.


Well now, there is freedom and then there is freedom.

Some people interpret the definition of freedom as being able to do whatever you want.

That is the common definition.


There is another kind of freedom that I’d like to talk about. It’s the freedom to do what I’m supposed to do.


What has this definition and the power of a single string bean got to do with anything?

Stay tuned for part two of this post…













No comments: