FAT MAN, THIN MAN, FATTER MAN...GOOD GRIEF!! I have been "overweight" or whatever other descriptive you care to use to call me fat, most all of my life with occasional spurts of weight loss. I've been up and down the scale several times, (mostly up) and have gained and lost over 300+ pounds in my life. However, I've begun to see myself as more than just a "fat" person...it gets easier to take on a different outlook when one doesn't fight for every breath, or have joints scream in pain every time you move. For the story of what got me to this point please click on the page: "HOW DID I GET HERE?"

All images taken from the Internet and assumed to be in the public domain, unless otherwise noted. If you believe an image infringes your rights in any way then please inform me and I will remove it swiftly.


Friday, December 31, 2010

THE UNGODLY POWER OF ONE STRING BEAN (part two)

Fat food...I mean fast food in America: Abundant and cheap. "Freedom fries" anyone??
Yesterday we were talking about freedom, and the prosperity it has brought to the United States.  Food is abundant and cheap and on just about every main street in America.

[I understand that there are kids who go to sleep hungry in the U.S. and I am not saying that we don't have poverty.  Societies will always have poor people, and my wife and I donate to our church's food pantry and support a little girl from Albania.] 

While that may not be deemed enough, this discussion is about FREEDOM TO DO WHAT WE "  SHOULD" DO AS IT RELATES TO WEIGHT MANAGEMENT.

I know, I ramble!

I read a book called Compulsive Overeating by Bill B. (Reference my blog entry from Dec.11, 2010 : THE MAN IN THE MIRROR )

In it he described Step One of Overeaters Anonymous which states: "We admitted we were powerless over our food compulsion - that our lives had become unmanageable."

He described "normal" people as those who could take food or leave it. 

"Normal" people do not eat when they aren't hungry.  

"Normal" people don't stop on the way home from work and grab a burger and fries before going home to eat supper. 

"Normal" people eat 2 or 3 Oreo's at a time, not the entire package in one sitting.  

For "normal" people eating is just something you do when you are hungry, just like you'd comb your hair when it becomes disheveled.

Apparently, I'm not "normal." 

Things are different for the compulsive overeater.  He challenged us to try an experiment.  When eating, leave a  little something on the plate when you're through.  It doesn't have to be much...just leave one string bean!
On the plate.

Alone.

Just let it sit there and throw it away when you clear the table.
I thought I'd try it.  After all, I'm sure I've left something on the plate uneaten before...lots of times!

In part three, we'll discover how cleaning your plate will never help one starving orphan in China feel better and we'll learn more about freedom to NOT eat the entire half-gallon of ice cream in one sitting...stay tuned.





No comments: