FAT MAN, THIN MAN, FATTER MAN...GOOD GRIEF!! I have been "overweight" or whatever other descriptive you care to use to call me fat, most all of my life with occasional spurts of weight loss. I've been up and down the scale several times, (mostly up) and have gained and lost over 300+ pounds in my life. However, I've begun to see myself as more than just a "fat" person...it gets easier to take on a different outlook when one doesn't fight for every breath, or have joints scream in pain every time you move. For the story of what got me to this point please click on the page: "HOW DID I GET HERE?"

All images taken from the Internet and assumed to be in the public domain, unless otherwise noted. If you believe an image infringes your rights in any way then please inform me and I will remove it swiftly.


Sunday, March 27, 2011

BUCKED OFF THE HORSE!

Well................
 
This is part of life as a compulsive eater to one extent or another.
 
Preferably a lesser extent obviously!
 
This week, early on I was as good as I ever am and felt a sense of satisfaction (pride?) that I still was able to get back in the saddle and eat like I was really gonna manage my weight and actually lose some weight again!
 
I didn't even feel hungry for having drastically cut back on the volume of food I was eating.
 
Then came Thursday.
 
We went to Omaha on Friday and ate at one of Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive Inns and Dives for lunch..."Sammy Amato's Joint".
 
For supper we went to a steakhouse, had two appetizers along with our meal.
 
On Saturday we were at a bible study at the Black Bear Diner in Sioux City for lunch and the study.  They serve HUGE portions and I did everything but lick the plate!
 
Whatever weight management I managed in the first part of the week  has completely disappeared by now.
 
NOW WE HAVE A CHOICE:  Are we on a "diet" or are we weight managers?
 
Do we let the scale crush us or use it as a tool for feedback?
 
The "easy" way is to hit ourselves over the head, beat ourselves up and throw up our hands in despair.
 
It is extremely easy to get bucked off the horse...CLIMBING BACK IN THE SADDLE IS HARD!
 
What choices are there?
 
Give up and get buried in a piano case?
 
Well, as bad as I feel about not eating under control, the alternative of giving up isn't appealing either.
 
I have a tendency to blow my failures out of proportion...yet I NEED to use the upsetness of the failure to spur me forward...to "fail forward."
 
Yesterday is gone...today is all that matters now.
 
Weight managers have the same problem as Dracula's victims ~ It's the first bite you have to watch out for!
 
So I'm watching out for that first bite and will seek God's help not to eat it uncontrollably. 

Again.

Is it fun? No!

Am I better at using weight management skills than before?

Mostly.

Practicing weight management skills has to be part of your life...has to be.

Even if some days you completely walk away from healthy eating, even if it stretches into a week or a month...well that's where accountability comes in...it's the only way to counter not getting back in the saddle.
The week I stop weighing in, in front of my mentors who hold me accountable, is the day they start shopping for my piano case.
 

No comments: