FAT MAN, THIN MAN, FATTER MAN...GOOD GRIEF!! I have been "overweight" or whatever other descriptive you care to use to call me fat, most all of my life with occasional spurts of weight loss. I've been up and down the scale several times, (mostly up) and have gained and lost over 300+ pounds in my life. However, I've begun to see myself as more than just a "fat" person...it gets easier to take on a different outlook when one doesn't fight for every breath, or have joints scream in pain every time you move. For the story of what got me to this point please click on the page: "HOW DID I GET HERE?"

All images taken from the Internet and assumed to be in the public domain, unless otherwise noted. If you believe an image infringes your rights in any way then please inform me and I will remove it swiftly.


Tuesday, March 15, 2011

THE STRAIGHT AND NARROW WAY

JESUS SAID: “You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it." MATTHEW 7:13-14

Jesus was speaking of your spiritual journey. My spiritual journey...really, anyone who seeks after God and His ways.

Which is not to say that God is hard to find...He isn't.  He was there all the time waiting patiently in line for me to figure that out.  As the saying goes, "If you find yourself farther away from God than before, guess who moved?"

Jesus CLEARLY stated that He was THE Way, Truth and the Life. 

How we respond is up to us. 

How do you respond to pure love? 

Selfishly, I want a broad, well defined clearly marked road. No hills to climb AND I shouldn't even be able to stub my toe!

But it's in the special paths God chooses for us that we must seek. 

Jesus walked the way of suffering how does my pipsqueak whiny junk compare to that?

When I try to go my own way...well it's like one of your kids who is sure they know better than mom and dad...if they're smart (and how could they not be SMART? they ARE your kids!)~~~they'll come around to your way of thinking eventually...I hope. 


I'm still waiting on a couple things for my kids to come around to...

...and God waits for me as His child to decide to try it His way too!  

One of those broad paths to eating hell I have used all my life is CONSUMING food to attempt to fill up the hole in my soul that only God can fill.


For the purposes of our talk today I'd like to borrow from this line of thinking and see how it relates to the process I go through for weight management.

I would prefer that I was determined enough to just follow a clearly marked path to eating recovery.  One, two, three.

I find that I meander through some side trails that are less clearly marked, and are tougher going.  Some of these are my stubborness to not do what I know I'm supposed to do concerning what I put into my mouth.

Others, God beckons me to. If I would only listen! 

Some, He allows me to get off the completely correct path of weight management so that I can learn how to stay on the "right" path better next time.

When I reread that it sounds like a fancy way to make an excuse for blowing my eating plan.

Yet, if I'm willing, God can even use that if I let Him.

It's no surprise to God that I am less than perfect in my eating. 

Everything in my life is "less than perfect" and I sin alot.

{Much to my shame.}

 Life is a dress rehearsal for the big event called eternity.  I find my clothes get snagged on the bramble bushes I come in contact with on the uneven, less than straight path(s) I end up on.  

No surprise to God.

What is surprising is the way He can use our mistakes to teach us...if we listen.

Sometimes I think God wants me to just relax and enjoy the view from where I'm at.  If I constantly agitate about what I do, or where I'm at, I literally do not stop to smell the roses.

Never mind that the roses actually grew on this sidewinder path because there was lots of bear pooh for fertilizer!  Ahem. 

I may feel lost, dazed and confused.  But God knows where I'm at.

There are no shortcuts to where I need to go.

Thomas Edison said concerning the trial and error in finding a workable element for the lightbulb: "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

Oh how I wish to cultivate that attitude. 

This or "that path is a dead end...let's try another route." 

 Funny how I find myself crawling down a dead end path I've explored before many times!

Obviously if you read me regularly, you've seen some of the thickets I've gotton into. 

My life is messy and a mess.  I'm far from perfect as you can plainly see. 

Read back over my early entries on this site, why I had this diet tiger by the tail!!

Ya.

I had to be there to get here. 

I need a closer walk with Jesus.  Renew my mind with God's thoughts.  Seek His will for my life. 

Jesus is my example. 

Jesus said, "I and my Father are one." They were so intimately acquainted with each other that they were in complete agreement.

Jesus, having taken on the form of a man, submitted His will to the Father.

If Jesus had to submit, how do I think I don't have to?

Now I'm older, maybe wiser, and thinner too...maybe... but I still suffer from waaaaay too much fat between my ears!

And I have the blisters on my feet to show the rough trails I've taken to avoid God's way. 





No comments: