FAT MAN, THIN MAN, FATTER MAN...GOOD GRIEF!! I have been "overweight" or whatever other descriptive you care to use to call me fat, most all of my life with occasional spurts of weight loss. I've been up and down the scale several times, (mostly up) and have gained and lost over 300+ pounds in my life. However, I've begun to see myself as more than just a "fat" person...it gets easier to take on a different outlook when one doesn't fight for every breath, or have joints scream in pain every time you move. For the story of what got me to this point please click on the page: "HOW DID I GET HERE?"

All images taken from the Internet and assumed to be in the public domain, unless otherwise noted. If you believe an image infringes your rights in any way then please inform me and I will remove it swiftly.


Tuesday, April 14, 2015

WHAT! ME WORRY??




My darling wife and I attended a wedding last Saturday in Kansas City.  Nice wedding, beautiful bride (one of my daughters roommates from college.)  

The rented hall was a building around 100 years old and had some nice amenities that you don't see in construction nowadays.  There was seating for about 250 people and it filled up almost completely.  The chairs were white stackable plastic lawn chairs almost exactly like the one pictured above. 

 And therein lies the problem.

Those chairs were not really built to hold a "big-boned" person like me!  Several scenarios passed through my panic-stricken mind all at once.  The main one was of me laying on the floor having crushed/collapsed this chair under my weight and doing it in the middle of a wedding ceremony in front of 250 people!

Perhaps I'll just stand in the back.

I'm pretty sure no one besides me gave those chairs a second thought...to say I was sitting gingerly is to put it mildly.

The reception was held in the same room after the ceremony.  People were asked to temporarily stretch their legs while the tables were set up and those same high quality lightweight plastic chairs were set around them! 

Let's just say the chair wobbled and I sat in such a way as to have my left leg go numb (fall asleep) from my hip down to my foot.  So in addition to sitting very carefully and in an awkward manner, when I got up to go through the food line I could not feel my foot or leg or make it move or trust that it would support my weight when I stepped on it.  Tentative step, drag leg, lean on the next table, step, drag, lean...reach for wife to grab onto before falling...walk slower honey! Why?? Well...

Damn stupid chair anyway!

The catered food was Mexican, so in order to "solve" my weight issue I chose to have just ONE taco and ONE enchilada...WITH extra low calorie lettuce please!  Would my chair accept the additional weight of this and a few tortilla chips??

This is just one of the many worries someone my size contends with. AND don't even get me started on the big full length mirrors at the motel we stayed at!

No comments: